EconomyForex

Ghibli’s Miyazaki has ideas for next project after The Boy and the Heron

2 Mins read













TORONTO — Studio Ghibli’s legendary director, Hayao Miyazaki, 82, still has not put his pencil down, an executive at the Japanese animation studio said on Friday after its long awaited feature, The Boy and the Heron, opened the Toronto International Film Festival.

Mr. Miyazaki, who was not present at the film festival, is the internationally renowned director behind hand-drawn animated favorites like Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl’s Moving Castle, and many other beloved films created under the Studio Ghibli, which he co-founded.

“For the last 20 years, after finishing a movie, he would say I’m done… but this time, he didn’t mention anything about retirement,” Junichi Nishioka, the studio’s vice-president for international distribution told Reuters in an interview on Friday.

“There is nothing concrete on the table yet, but he shows the willingness to create something new,’ Mr. Nishioka said, adding that Mr. Miyazaki, is at the studio every day.

The film’s surprisingly low-key Japanese release in July came with conspicuously little promotional material as a part of the studio’s attempt to build mystery around the enigmatic film.

Mr. Nishioka said the idea not to promote the movie was producer Toshio Suzuki’s idea who wanted to bring an element of his movie-going experience as a child. He said the movie had had over five million viewers in Japan so far.

In Toronto, film buffs and movie fans lined up for the movie, the first time an animated Japanese film opened the festival.

“It was an amazing film… I really had high expectations but it blew past them,” said Gabriel Mas who attended the film’s premiere on Thursday.

MIYAZAKI’S MESSAGEThe film, adapted from a 1937 novel by Genzaburo Yoshino entitled How Do You Live, which Miyazaki read as a child, chronicles the journey of 11-year-old Mahito Maki, who loses his mother during World War II and embarks into a magical world.

The movie is also inspired by how Mr. Miyazaki himself felt after the war and coped with the loss of his mother.

Delighting anime fans with his return a decade after the release of The Wind Rises in 2013, Mr. Miyazaki seeks to convey a message to younger generations about how he lived and how young people should think about how they want to live.

“This is a personal film, showing how he (Miyazaki) lived, how he should have lived and throwing out the question to the audience, ‘So how do you live?’,” Mr. Nishioka said. — Reuters




Related posts
EconomyForex

ADB and GCash Fuse partner to unlock inclusive finance for MSMEs, women and fight poverty in PHL

5 Mins read
(L-R) Martha Sazon, President and CEO of Mynt, the parent company of GCash; Tony Isidro, President and CEO of Fuse Financing Inc.;…
EconomyForex

ADB sees PHL returning to 6% growth by 2027

2 Mins read
A photo shows the central business district in Makati City. — PHILIPPINE STAR/RYAN BALDEMOR THE PHILIPPINE ECONOMY could return to around 6%…
EconomyForex

Groups flag P633 billion corruption risk in bicam-approved 2026 budget

2 Mins read
HANDOUT COURTESY OF OFFICE OF SEN. GATCHALIAN Multisectoral groups on Monday raised their recommendations on the P6.793-trillion national budget approved by the…
Power your team with InHype
[mc4wp_form id="17"]

Add some text to explain benefits of subscripton on your services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *