EconomyForex

Facebook whistleblower Haugen urges Zuckerberg to step down

1 Mins read
REUTERS

LISBON – In her first public address since she leaked a trove of damaging documents about Facebook’s inner workings, whistleblower Frances Haugen urged her former boss, Mark Zuckerberg, to step down and allow change rather than devoting resources to a rebrand.

“I think it is unlikely the company will change if [Mark Zuckerberg] remains the CEO,” Haugen told a packed arena on Monday at the opening night of the Web Summit, a tech fest drawing dozens of thousands to the Portuguese capital, Lisbon.

The former Facebook product manager replied in the positive to the question of whether Zuckerberg should resign, and added: “Maybe it’s a chance for someone else to take the reins… Facebook would be stronger with someone who was willing to focus on safety.”

The social network, with nearly 3 billion users, changed its name to Meta last week, in a rebrand that focuses on building the “metaverse,” a shared virtual environment that it bets will be the successor to the mobile internet.

But early adopters of the virtual worlds known as the metaverse blasted Facebook’s rebranding as an attempt to capitalise on growing buzz over a concept it did not create to deflect from recent negative attention.

Commenting on the rebranding, Haugen said it made no sense given the security issues that have yet to be tackled.

“Over and over Facebook chooses expansion and new areas instead of sticking the landing on what they’ve already done,” Haugen told an animated crowd which frequently burst into applause as she spoke.

Facebook’s announcement came amid strong criticism from lawmakers and regulators over the corporation’s business practices – particularly its enormous market power, algorithmic decisions and the policing of abuses on its services.

The social media network, which operates a dual class share structure through which Zuckerberg and a small group of investors control the company, has hit back saying the documents leaked by Haugen were being used to paint a “false picture.”

Haugen told British and American lawmakers last month that Facebook would fuel more violent unrest worldwide unless it curbed its algorithms which push extreme, divisive content and prey on vulnerable demographics to keep them scrolling.

“A key problem is that the foundation of the platform’s security is based on monitoring content language by language, which does not scale to all the countries where Facebook operates,” Haugen noted. – Reuters

Related posts
EconomyForex

ADB and GCash Fuse partner to unlock inclusive finance for MSMEs, women and fight poverty in PHL

5 Mins read
(L-R) Martha Sazon, President and CEO of Mynt, the parent company of GCash; Tony Isidro, President and CEO of Fuse Financing Inc.;…
EconomyForex

ADB sees PHL returning to 6% growth by 2027

2 Mins read
A photo shows the central business district in Makati City. — PHILIPPINE STAR/RYAN BALDEMOR THE PHILIPPINE ECONOMY could return to around 6%…
EconomyForex

Groups flag P633 billion corruption risk in bicam-approved 2026 budget

2 Mins read
HANDOUT COURTESY OF OFFICE OF SEN. GATCHALIAN Multisectoral groups on Monday raised their recommendations on the P6.793-trillion national budget approved by the…
Power your team with InHype
[mc4wp_form id="17"]

Add some text to explain benefits of subscripton on your services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *