EconomyForex

Duterte orders probe of police shootout

1 Mins read
PHILSTAR

President Rodrigo R. Duterte has ordered the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to investigate a shootout between police and agents of his anti-drug agency where four law enforcers were killed.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) and Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) would no longer conduct their own probes of the botched drug buy bust operation to ensure impartiality, presidential spokesman Harry L. Roque, Jr. told a televised news briefing on Friday.

Major General Vicente D. Danao, Jr, the capital region’s police chief, earlier said “sell bust” or the illegal practice of selling drugs to catch buyers could have caused the bungled operation near a mall along Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City on Wednesday night.

It is the legal mandate of the NBI to investigate where men in uniform are involved to ensure accountability, Mr. Roque said.

Mr. Duterte recently named PDEA officials allegedly involved in drug trafficking and other anomalies.
Meanwhile, the PNP is evaluating the findings of a Justice department probe of the institution’s enforcement of Mr. Duterte’s deadly war on drugs.

Advertisement

“They are currently evaluating our findings and recommendations and will come out with their report in the first week of March, Justice Undersecretary Adrian Ferdinand S. Sugay told reporters in a Viber group message on Friday.

The Justice review panel was still discussing the filing of cases against policemen who violated rules of engagement in anti-illegal drug operations, he added.

The Justice department will continue to review police cases where people got killed, Mr. Sugay said.

More than half of thousands of police anti-drug operations violated rules of engagement, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra told the United Nations Human Rights Council on Wednesday.

Police claimed suspected drug pushers were killed after they resisted arrest, he said in a video message at the seventh meeting of the council’s 46th regular session.

But no full examination of the recovered weapons had been conducted, he said, citing the initial results of a government investigation. Ownership was never undertaken and ballistic exams and paraffin tests were never pursued, he added. — Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza and Bianca Angelica D. Anago

Advertisement




Related posts
EconomyForex

Britain races toward elusive milestone in quest to curb COVID

2 Mins read
PEOPLE embrace each other by the National COVID Memorial wall beside St Thomas’ hospital set as a memorial to all those who…
EconomyForex

South African variant can 'break through' Pfizer vaccine, Israeli study says

2 Mins read
REUTERS JERUSALEM — The coronavirus variant discovered in South Africa can “break through” Pfizer/BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine to some extent, a real-world data…
EconomyForex

Level up your gaming experience with vivo Y20s [G]

2 Mins read
THE Davao City Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc. and the South African Embassy in the Philippines have started discussions on potential…
Power your team with InHype
[mc4wp_form id="17"]

Add some text to explain benefits of subscripton on your services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get the daily email that makes reading the news actually enjoyable. Stay informed and entertained, for free.



Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!